The NFL has lasted since 1920 when it was originally called the APFA (American Professional Football Association). So with that being said, here are the five oldest teams in the NFL (National Football League) to date.
- Detroit Lions-The fifth oldest team is the Detroit Lions which were established in 1929 and first entered the league in 1930. They were originally called the Spartans before changing to the Lions in 1934. Since then they have made the playoffs 12 times with their best seasons being in the ’50s, the Lions have to this day been unable to win a Super Bowl.
- New York Giants-The fourth oldest team is the New York Giants which was established on August 1, 1925, and entered the league the same year. The Giants are one of the only teams to have retained their name and location throughout their tenure as a team. The Giants have won four Super Bowls, most notably two coming with longtime quarterback Eli Manning.
- Green Bay Packers-The third-oldest team is the Green Bay Packers who were established on August 11, 1919, but didn’t play in the NFL until 1921. The Packers are the oldest team to have not changed their location or name and are arguably the league’s most storied team. The Packers have had four Super Bowls with their latest coming in 2011 led by quarterback Aaron Rodgers.
- Chicago Bears-The second oldest team is the Chicago Bears which were established on September 17, 1920, and played in the league that year. The Bears were originally the Staleys before in 1922 they became the Bears and they haven’t changed since. The Bears have won one Super Bowl which was in 1985, they are also well known for their longtime rivalry with the Packers.
- Arizona Cardinals-The oldest team in the NFL is the Arizona Cardinals who were established all the way back in 1898 with their first season being in 1920. The Cardinals held their name throughout their time in the league but have changed locations multiple times before in 1994 moving to Arizona where they have played ever since. Although being the oldest team the Cardinals have yet to win a Super Bowl in their time as a team.