FIFA World Cup Quarter-finals

With the last two matches of Round 16 of the World Cup happening December 6, 2022, at 10 am and 2 pm Eastern Time (EST) the Quarter-finals are coming soon. In Round 16, many events happened. 

The first game of Round 16 was the Netherlands versus the United States. With the Netherlands winning 3-1, Team USA was knocked out. Although, throughout the game, there were many accomplishments and events. Such as, the USA having 17 shots on goal and ending up with only one point, while the Netherlands had 11 shots on goal with 3 points. Additionally, the United States had possession of the ball about 59% of the time. The first two goals for the Netherlands were achieved by Memphis Depay and Daley Blind. Losing 2-1, Haji Wright scored a goal for the USA in the 76th minute. However, near the end of the game, in the 81st minute, Denzel Dumfries scored the winning goal allowing the Netherlands to go to the quarter-finals.  

The Netherlands team celebrating their win against the United States. Photo provided by InsideSport.

On December 10, 2022, at 10:00 am, two big countries in soccer will face off against each other in a head-to-head game. England and France both have a big soccer population, with England having around 2 million players and France having 1.8 million players in 2022. The game will additionally be a close call having a 29% chance that it will continue into overtime. Although France does have a 39% chance to win, England only has a 32% chance of winning. However it goes, both teams have done amazing this year getting to the quarter-finals. 

Photo of the World Cup Bracket from December 9, 2022 at 12:02 am. Showing the current time of the Croatia and Brazil game, which is three minutes into overtime. Photo provided by Google.

The last two games of Round 16 were played on December 6, 2022. Portugal won 6-1 against Switzerland. While Morocco and Spain settle the score with a penalty shootout where each team gets five penalty kicks. This is done when the teams have the same amount of points or when they both have zero points. In this game, Morocco got 3 out of 5 kicks while Spain did not get any, which means that Morocco will be the last, and fourth, African country to go to the quarter-finals after Cameroon, Senegal, and Ghana. 

With eight competitive teams competing, the rest of the World Cup including the quarter-finals, semi-finals, and the final match will be breathtaking to watch. Best of luck to all the teams competing and all the fans watching as well.  


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s